The Hulsey, Head and Huff Families of North Georgia.
Or, More Than You Ever Wanted To Know!
The Hulsey Family - William Harrison Hulsey
William Harrison Hulsey
First Son of John Dillard Hulsey
Born: 12 Jan, 1882, Mossy Creek, White Co., GA
Died: 9 Aug 1974, Cleveland, White Co., GA
Married in 1907:
Bertie Lenora Head
Born: 16 Apr 1885 in White Co., GA
Died: 6 Jun 1978 in Gainesville, Hall Co., GA
Bertie L. Head
The Hulsey Family
The Head Family
The Huff Family
William Harrison Hulsey, born 12 Jan 1882, was the son of John D. Hulsey and Mary Margret Rogers. His father was of English and Cherokee (up to 3/8 Cherokee) ancestry and his mother was of Scottish ancestry. His mother may have been of 1/8 Cherokee ancestry. He was known as “Harrison” during his life, using “W. H.” or “William H.” in formal documents.
He was raised, until about the age 18, on his father’s farm on the White Co. Hall Co. boundary. He attended the Mossy Creek Academy and North GA A&I High School in Clarksville, GA. His father sent him to Piedmont College for two years to prepare him for a non-farm career as Harrison was born with a withered left arm. The family moved to a home and small farm near the store that his father operated from 1902 until 1928. It is possible that he lived for a short time in the new home of his father on the Pitchford Place that his father bought in 1904.
Harrison Hulsey married Bertie Head on 8 Sep 1907 and they bought a small farm, known as the Shockley Place, near the intersection of Westmorland Road and Mossy Creek Campground Road. Here his first two children, Eula and Don, were born in 1908 and 1911. At some point between 1911 and 1914 his wife, Bertie, became ill and was hospitalized for 6 months at Emory Hospital, Atlanta, GA. To pay the hospital bill, he sold the farm. His children stayed with their grandparents during his wife’s illness.
The family moved to a small house on Mossy Creek Campground Road that is still in existence today, abet extensively remodeled. He grew crops on rented land and worked in his father’s store acting as a partner in 1915. Two additional daughters, Edith and Velma were born while they lived there.
In 1916, Harrison Hulsey was elected Tax Collector for White County. His duties included visiting each polling place on a set day to collect that year’s tax. He would also visit those farms in arrears. During the winter months he would hire his brother, Talmer, to help him in the collection efforts. The position was fee-based as was all other elected county positions.
His office was also responsible for distillery inspections for the state until prohibition. He reported that the still houses were often cleaner than the home’s kitchens. He served as Tax Collector for 8 years.
In 1917 Harrison Hulsey bought a home on Nachoochee Road north of Cleveland and moved there where he remained for most of his life. The property contained about 8 acres in a home lot, a 4-acre field, a small pasture and a garden lot.
Also, in 1917, he bought a 30 acre tract on the Blue Creek Road and across the hill from his home from a William Palmer. He planted an Apple Orchard on part of it and farmed the remainder. This property was referred to as the Orchard Farm.
William Harrison Hulsey, Jr. was born in December, 1917 and died in April, 1918 of a respiratory infection that could have been cured today. The baby was buried in the Cleveland Cemetery.
Harrison Hulsey bought a 30-acre tract from Charley Maloof and L. L. Akins in the Goatneck community for $1,200. He paid half the price at purchase and gave a Note to Charley Maloof for the remainder. He paid the note off in December of that year, at which time Mr. Maloof issued a second deed on the property. Harrison Hulsey may have farmed this property for several years but it did not warrant a serious effort on his part.
The last two children, Pierce Roger and Lera, were born at the Cleveland home in 1923 and1926, respectfully. He provided for each of his children to attend college, an unusual event for that era in rural communities. Roger, handicapped by poor eyesight, did not attend college.
Harrison Hulsey was elected Clerk of Court in 1924 and held that office for 16 years. The position was a part time office and he continued to farm during that period.
In 1927 he sold the Orchard Farm and the Gooseneck land to the W. L and T. L. Jackson at a significant profit above his purchase prices.
In 1929 he purchased the first of four tracts that made up the Hulsey Farm from T. H. Turner. That tract was 275 acres of cut-over forest and exhausted cropland. He planted the cropland in lespedeza and rented other land to raise a corn crop that year. He later planted a second Apple Orchard on part of the pastureland. This property was combination of two small farms originally owned by a Mr. Turner and Major Frank Logan, an original settler of White County. The Logan property was referred to as the Densmore place for the family that had lived on the property for over 50 years.
In 1937 he purchased an adjoining 185 acres from the Estate of Riley T. Kenimer, known as the Turner farm. Again this property had been previously owned by T. H. Turner and had been extensively logged.
In 1936, Harrison Hulsey faced opposition from Clifford Campbell in the Clerk of Court election. Mr. Campbell, who suffered from the effects of polio, had lost his job as clerk for railroad when it closed during the depression. Harrison Hulsey won that election and then found a job for Mr. Campbell with Charley Head, the brother of Bertie Hulsey, his wife.
Harrison Hulsey again faced opposition from Clifford Campbell in the 1940 election. Harrison Hulsey was tired of the duties of the office and his farm was doing well. He did not campaign and lost the election, much to his relief as he was tired of public service, having served for 24 years.
He continued to farm during WWII while his two sons were in service. He had to plow under his 1945 cotton crop for want of labor to pick the cotton and begin to convert the farm to a cow-and-calf operation.
He added to the Farm in 1943 with the purchase of the J. H. Cantrell farm of 69 acres and again in the purchase of the High Turner farm of 250 acres in 1944 from, again, T. H. Turner. His total holdings were between 780 and 800 acres with the purchase of the last property.
In 1947, he sold a small portion fronting the Neal’s Gap Highway to Carpenter and Best as he believed the community needed a good restaurant and lodging.
By 1948 his son, Donald, had returned to White County and Donald took over management of the Hulsey Farm. Donald converted the farm to a cow-calf operation with poultry and pork for immediate cash flow. Roger, his second son, was involved with the farm but soon left to buy another farm as Roger’s wife was unable to blend into the family. Donald became his full partner and the Hulsey Farm was officially sold to him in 1955, the deed not being recorded until 1964. Harrison Hulsey remained a full partner in the farm operation for some years.
In 1953, Harrison and Donald sold 40 acres to Ames Textiles for the second manufacturing plant in Cleveland.
Harrison Hulsey turned age 65 in 1947 and had no retirement income other than the farm. The Social Security Administration opened enrollment for farm workers at some point and Harrison was able to pay into the Trust Fund seven year’s payments and then retire on Social Security. The amount of retirement was small but the advent of Medicare provided support for his and his wife’s medical bills.
During the late 1960’s Harrison Hulsey caught his arm in hammer mill and was hospitalized in Atlanta for some time. While he had been slowing down for some years, this marked his full retirement form farm work. He continued to visit the farm daily to feed the cows in the afternoon for the remainder of his life.
His wife, Bertie, had been ill for some time and had several periods of nursing home care. About 1970, she entered the nursing home for the remainder of her life. Harrison Hulsey then moved into the home of his daughter, Edith Huff, for the remainder of his life. He continued to visit the farm daily, his daughter or grandsons driving him to the farm. He died on 9 August 1974. His wife, Bertie, survived him two years, residing in a nursing home.
Eula Monttine (Margaret) Hulsey (1908-1993) married Joseph Bible Campbell (1914-1993), 4 children. She was a school teacher and librarian most of her adult life. Moving several times, her last home was in Meansville, Pike Co., GA.
John McDonald (Donald) Hulsey (1911-living) married Clara Belle Pettit (1917-1995). School Principal, Agricultural teacher, County Extension Agent, Farmer and Army Officer. He served in the Supply Corps in Brooklyn, NY in WWII and made two convoy crossings of the Atlantic. He continued in the Army Reserves, retiring as a Colonel. He took over the family farm, and on retirement, sold it to Original Appalachian Artworks.
Edith Glayds Hulsey (1914-2005) married E. J. Huff (1906-1969), 4 children. School teacher, on retirement, served in a number of community positions including as the first Councilwoman for the City of Cleveland. Caretaker of William H. and Birdie Hulsey in their later years.
Velma Ree Hulsey (1916-1989) married James Albert Maddox (1922-2001), 3 children. Schoolteacher for her adult life in Jackson, GA, at retirement, with her husband operated and later owned a destination campground.
William Harrison Hulsey (1917-1918. Died as an infant.
Pierce Roger Hulsey (1923-1992) married:
1) Roy Ann Cathy (1934-2011), 2 children.
2) Delilah Chambers Williams (1913-living).
Roger Hulsey farmed for a period and worked as a truck driver. He later became a Supertendent for an equipment manufacturer. He and his second wife operated a wholesale florist in his later years.
Bertie L. "Lera" Hulsey (1926-1989) married Albert R. Bruckner (1921-1985). School teacher and Systems Analyst.
About Sitemap GENCOM Bertie L. Head Land Transacions The Hulsey Family Home