Hulsey, Head and Huff Families of North Georgia.
Or, More Than You Ever Wanted To Know!
The Hulsey Family - John Dillard Hulsey
John Dillard Hulsey
Third Son of Jesse H. Hulsey
Sixth Generation, Direct Ancestor
Born: 14 February, 1856 in Hall Co., GA
Died: 17 February, 1928 in White Co., GA
1) Avie Marie Waters in 1875.
Born: 1861 in Hall Co., GA
Died: 1879 in Hall Co., GA
2) Mary Margret Rogers in 1880.
Born: May, 1858 in Hall Co., GA
Died: 8 June, 1930 in White Co., GA
The Wives of John D. Hulsey
The Hulsey Family
The Head Family
The Huff Family
John Dillard Hulsey, born Feb, 1856 in Hall Co., GA, was the son of Jesse H. Hulsey (1824-1908) and Lucendia Brock (1825-1911). His father was possibly ¾ Cherokee in ancestry and was culturally a White. His mother’s family was originally German-Swiss marring wives of English ancestry. J. M. (Donald) Hulsey states that his name was “John McAfee Hulsey,” however his land transactions and death certificate used “John Dillard Hulsey.”
Raised on his father’s farm, he married Ava Marie Waters, the daughter of Moses Waters, on 2 Sep 1875. He was 19 years of age and she was 15. Their only child, Francis Lula, was born in 1877.
The White County Deed Records for the period 1878-1881 are missing and it is believed that it was during this period that he bought his first farm of 170 acres in the Land Lot 120, 2nd Land District, Mossy Creek, in White County. This farm was on the White Co. and Hall Co. border east of Skitts Mountain. His father may have aided in the purchase of this farm.
His wife, Ava Marie Waters, died in 1879 at age 18 and he and his 3-year daughter was living on his father’s farm as they were shown in Jesse’s household in the 1880 Census.
He married Mary Margret Rogers, the daughter of William Rogers, on 25 July 1880. He had been acquainted with Mary Rogers for some time as she was a niece to Mary Elizabeth Gailey who married Thomas Newton Hulsey and Perry L Gailey who married Melinda E. Hulsey. She was also a maternal first cousin to the Gaileys.
He, his new wife and his daughter, Francis, moved back to the farm and they resided on this farm until at least 1900 and five of his children were born there. His daughter by his first wife, Francis Lula, resided with the family until her marriage in 1898.
He apparently did very well as a farmer as he was able to sign, with his brother, a mortgage to purchase the remaining 1/2 interest in the mill, known as the English Old Mill and 350 acres. (21 Mar 1885, Book F, p. 107, White Co., GA Deed Records.)
John D. Hulsey bought an undivided half interest from Mrs. W. H. Henderson, for $ 575, in part of LL 99, 117, and 118 of the 2nd Dist. consisting of (now) 275 acres known as the Latner and Hulsey Mill Property with a grist and flour mill, shoal and water powered. This deed was “for the benefit of” Jennings M. Hulsey, his brother. John D. Hulsey owned the half interest, with his brother, Jennings M. (Roe) owning the other half, in the mill and 270 acre farm that Jennings, his brother, operated. (7 Aug, 1888, Book G, p. 295-296, White Co., GA Deed Records.)
In 1894, John D. Hulsey served on the White Co. Grand Jury committee that examined and approved the record books of White Co., indicating that he was considered knowledgeable and of good judgment by his fellow jurymen.
On 23 Dec 1897 John D Hulsey sold the first farm to A. M. Dean for $ 375.00. (23 Dec. 1897, White Co. Deed Records, Book J, page 295.) John D. Hulsey and his family apparently remained on this farm for more than two years after the sale as he and his family was shown in this neighborhood in the 1900 Census.
Between 1900 and 1902 the whereabouts of John D. Hulsey is unknown. He may have lived on his father’s place in Hall County or on the Hulsey Mill property and he may have worked in a general store in White County. It is probable that he worked in the Cooley Store part or all of the period, as he bought that business before 1904, possibly in 1902. The store was abutting the W. G. Pitchford farm on the Gainesville Highway south of Westmoreland Road. While he operated the store until his death, the land and building remained in the ownership of Mr. Cooley.
In 1902, John D Hulsey bought the L. J. Skelton home place of 25 acres from A. H. Carroll for $ 300. John D. Hulsey was described as being “of Hall Co.”, indicating that his family lived in Hall Co. at that time. The deed description did not include a land lot and is impossible to locate today. The property was possibly close to the Cooley Store and the Pitchford farm.
The Hulsey Store, in front of the present Hood home, was the largest general store between Gainesville and the mountains and stocked a large variety of food, clothing, hardware, farm equipment and livestock feed. John Hulsey was a trader, buying or trading for any saleable product as he had good commercial connections in Gainesville, Athens, Augusta and Atlanta. He, like other country stores extended credit to the local community for food, seed and fertilizer, being repaid when the crops were sold. In addition to the local trade he had good relations with the over-mountain people of Towns and Union Counties. At times, as many as 50 wagons of the over-mountain people overnighted at the store on their way to Gainesville. He would sometimes purchase some of their products, allowing the over-mountain wagons to carry a smaller load to Gainesville where they did the bulk of their business.
John D. Hulsey served as Postmaster of Leo, GA until the Gainesville Midland Railroad to Helen was built in 1916. The Post Office was then moved to the Leo Rail Road Station. While John D. Hulsey lost the post master position, he greatly benefited in the ability to ship his products by rail.
J. H. Pitchford and G. G. Pitchford, as Executors of the estate of William G Pitchford , sold the Pitchford Place to John D. Hulsey in a Public Auction on March 7, 1904. John D. Hulsey bid $ 1, 857.55 for the property located in part of Land Lots 68, 67, 64 and 63, 2nd Land District. No acreage was given. (The Tax Records show 272 acres, while John D. Hulsey considered the property as being 400 acres..) Five homes were on the property. Part of the western boundary was described as running along a fence line that was long gone at the time of the sale. John Hulsey and the adjoining owner appointed three neighbors to identify the property line, resulting in a curved property line at that point.
After purchasing the Pitchford farm, John D. Hulsey added as second story, kitchen and large front porch to an existing home. His family consisted of Mary, his wife, and children Bertha Mary, Talmer C., A. Bunyan, Minerva L. (Minnie), and Flora Belle. His daughter by his first wife, Francis Lula, had married in 1898 and his son, William H., had married in 1907.
He, with the help of his sons, farmed and operated the store. He opened the store early and walked home for lunch daily. His son, William H., had a withered left arm and worked in the store at times and was a partner in the store for a period about 1915. After purchasing the Pitchford farm, John D. Hulsey added as second story, kitchen and large front porch to an existing home. His family consisted of Mary, his wife, and children Bertha Mary, Talmer C., A. Bunyan, Minerva L. (Minnie), and Flora Belle. His daughter by his first wife, Francis Lula, had married in 1898 and his son, William H., married in 1907.
While no record exists, John D. Hulsey acquired the half-interest of his brother, Jennings, in the land of the (now) Hulsey Mill farm at some point before 1909 as Jennings sold the Hulsey Mill to the Habersham Bank, Clarksville GA that year. Jennings M. Hulsey was shown “of Habersham Co.” on the deed indicating that he had ceased to operate the mill before 1909.
In 1914 John D. Hulsey sold 200 acres of the Hulsey Mill farm to J. B. Sosebee for $ 2, 000. (3 Feb, 1914, White Co. Deed Records, Book ?, page 477, parts of Land Lots 118, 119, 97 and 98, 2nd Dist.) In 1917, he sold the remaining 60 acres of the Hulsey Mill farm to Ed Palmour for $ 1, 500. (20 Jan 19127, White Co. Deed Records, Book Q, page 366.)
John D. Hulsey was a strong believer in education for his children. They attended Mossy Creek Academy, operated by Bertie Head’s grandfather. William H., who had a withered arm, attended Piedmont College in Demorest for two years. Talmer and Bunyan both attended North Georgia Agricultural and Industrial School as borders in Clarksville, GA.
John D. Hulsey and his family remained in close contact with the Clermont and Gainesville extended family of Hulseys, Rogers, Gaileys, Heads and other relatives. The family traveled the 4 miles to attend Concord Baptist Church in Clermont for services and took time off in the summer to attend Mossy Creek Camp Meeting.
The farm was the responsibility of Talmer and Bunyan with some hired help. Talmer, Bunyon and Bertha remained on the farm their entire lives. William H. married in 1907, Minnie married Henry Davis Green and Flora Belle eloped with Charles S. Cantrell in 1917 over the severe objections of her family.
Over the years John D. Hulsey became influential on Mossy Creek and throughout White County. He served on Grand Juries, acted as Justice of the Peace for the Mossy Creek Dist., and served as executor for his neighbor’s estates. He was influential in the election of his son, William H., as Tax Collector in 1916.
When he died in 1928, cotton had “gone bust” because of the Bole Weevil infestation and the local farmers were unable to pay their bills. The store had a large amount of credit from local farmers on the books, over a year’s income for the store. (One estimate was over $ 100,000 in 1928 dollars.) Talmer, his son and executor of his estate, determined that the debts were uncollectable and burned the books.
The John D. Hulsey Estate was cash-short and it was several years before Talmer was able to pay the heirs. After paying the Estate’s debts and settling with his married bother and sisters, the farm was deeded to Bunyon and Minnie and Talmer, Bunyon and Bertha remained on the farm the remainder of their lives. Their nephew, J. M. Donald Hulsey, was their caretaker in their later years and he inherited the farm at their deaths.
John Dillard Hulsey and Mary Ava Waters (1861-1879):
1. Francis Lula (1877-1948) married John T. (Bud) Sears (1871-1927), five children. After Bud Sears’ death she and her sons moved to Atlanta and she later moved to Cobb County. Contact with this family has been lost.
John Dillard Hulsey and Mary Margret Rogers (1858-1930):
2. William Harrison (1882-1974) married Bertie Leona Head (1885-1976), seven children. See the following chapter.
3. Bertha May (1885-1969) never married. She was the caretaker of her mother and, after her mother’s death, cared for her bachelor brothers the remainder of her life. She was a full partner in the farm.
4. Talmer Calvin (1889-1977), never married. He and his brother, Bunyon, served together in WWI in France. After their return, they remained on the farm the remainder of their lives.
5. Albert Bunyan (1891-1969), never married.
6. Minerva Lee (Minnie) (1893-1985) married Henry Davis Green (1896-1962), one adopted child. Henry Green was a successful farmer in north Hall County.
6. Flora Belle (1898-1979) married Charley Smith Cantrell (1898-1979), six children. They moved to northeastern Colorado where he became a successful dry-land farmer east of Greeley, CO. When they retired, they moved to Ault, CO.
About Contact Sitemap GENCOM The Wives of John D. Hulsey The Hulsey Family Home